The Peachland School (present and old)
A black and white photograph of students with their teacher at the Peachland school.
Though schools were still important in the 1920’s, many of them still were kept to one room for one class and one grade. This was because of a lack of a sufficient enough population to warrant anything bigger. For this particular school, it had a back room, library, and an organ for preacher services on Sundays, but still remained a ‘one-room school’ until the 1950’s. After that, the lumber business in Anderson Valley was thriving, which brought more families in and thus required more room to teach. However, it was still not enough when the population rose again in the 1960’s, resulting in the addition of more buildings for kindergarten classes. Today, the original school now serves as a historical museum to show what a typical one-room school was like.
Old photo -Anderson Valley Historical Society
Old photo -c. 1925